From favas to fonio, take a deep dive into the vast world of beans and grains, with hundreds of exceptional, foolproof recipes
Whether you're just opening a can of black beans, taking the time to brine scarlet runners, or cooking teff, the world of beans and grains is both approachable and delicious. Discover tantalizing recipes that use them in everything from sandwiches and handpies to tacos and pizza, salads and simmered soups to cultural mainstays from around the world like adasi, spatzle, hummus, and gyros. These dishes will delight omnivores, vegetarians, and vegans alike.
ATK test cooks have worked through mountains of beans —sprouting, baking, pressure-cooking, and pureeing—to present you with expert cooking instructions and make-ahead know how: From how to make beans tender while keeping their shape to preventing cooked grains from clumping up. In this comprehensive collection, find everything from weeknight recipes to special occasion meals, helpful charts, fast and vegan tags, and much more:
- Beanified recipes: Classics reimagined to let beans deliciously take over. Think Beans Puttanesca and Chickpea Bouillabaisse
- Grainy innovations: Unique dishes such as Savory Oatmeal and Teff-Stuffed Squash with Lime Crema and Roasted Pepitas
- Classic comfort: The best versions of favorites like Texas Chili, Black Bean Burgers, and Creamy White Bean Soup
- Heirloom beans and ancient grains: Test cooks developed recipes to match to the right bean or grain. Learn how best to purchase, prep, and cook these beans and grains for optimum flavor.
- Useful substitutions: Recipes include a substitution line offering convenient bean and grain options
America's Test Kitchen publishes best-selling and award-winning cookbooks, including The Complete Mediterranean Cookbook and The Complete Plant-Based Cookbook. It also publishes Cook's Illustrated and Cook's Country magazines and produces public television's top-rated shows, America's Test Kitchen and Cook's Country.